ITINERARY: Take a 30 min relaxed trek on the back of an elephant, through an oil palm tree plantation, shady forest, and along a small river. Back at the camp, you can buy them a treat of bananas and hand feed them (they are very gentle).
Continue on to the Emerald Pool (also known as Crystal Pool) in the Khao Phra Bang Kram Nature Reserve, where you can follow the trail through the forest (there are two routes, 800m and 1.2km respectively) to the amazingly-hued spring water pools. You can explore these trails independently, as well as stop and swim in the main Emerald Pool. The Blue Pool, which is the source of the spring, and not swimmable, is a further 600m trek from there. Approximately 1.5 hours is given here.
There will also be a 45 minute stop at the nearby Klong Thom Hot Springs site where you can soak in the mineral rich water, in manmade pools, or in the smooth stone Jacuzzi tubs hewn naturally out of the rock by the flow of the water.
– The order of events may be reversed in the event of more than one group being booked on a single day, i.e. Hot Springs / Emerald Pool first, then elephant trekking.
– Lunch is not included, but time will be allowed to buy snacks or more substantial food from the many vendors at both sites – please bring cash for this purpose (or bring your own snacks with you).
– As the Hot Springs / Emerald Pool sites are located more than 70km from the beach areas, there will be a considerable amount of time spent travelling between destinations.
Expected group size: 6 – 14 pax, depending on the day and time of year.
– More info on elephant trekking.
– More info on the Hot Springs and Emerald Pool.
– Detailed trip report
My husband and I had a great time in this activity. We love the hotspring as well as the trip to the emerald pool. Our only grouses is that the time spent at the emerald pool was a little bit too short, maybe because we need to go to the elephant trekking ride. And it would help also if the tour guide could take some time to explain to us a bit on the formation of the hotspring as well as the emerald pool. He is not very informative on our way to these attractions. However, it was really an experienced that my husband and I would never forget.
We like the elephant trekking. We love dipping in the hot springs and emerald pool.